Tuesday 11 August 2015

Posters for the interim

Here are the posters I submitted for the week 5 interim
This piece really plays off my original ideas of putting graffiti on a statue. I illustrated the statue that stands at Anzac Cove, and then drew over it to simulate spray paint, using colours that are commonly associated with tags and vandalism. The off white background mean I could play with black and white type to emphasize certain words that I felt needed to have a stronger presence on the page.   

This piece is an evolution from the last canvas graffiti idea (green one) I took more sepia tones and colours that invoked a sense of age and history and fused them with modern striking colours that made the piece pop more. I illustrated the soldier with markers and pencil this time to give it an ever more authentic look. The idea behind the red strike over his face is the loss of identity, and it ties in with the "NO" nicely.

The critique I received from the interim was incredibly helpful. Firstly the general consensus was that the first poster was the strongest and that I should pursue it further, but on the same wavelength the second was far too similar and used the same ideas too much. 
In the first, it was slightly too wordy and the subtext was too large. Also the image didn't take enough precedence over the type like I intended. The choice of background colour (and even having one at all) was also questioned. It was suggested that I do some version of the image in a spray paint stencil style. I have some ideas regarding Banksy's work on that front so I will look into it.
The second apparently invoked the feeling of a soldier facing the firing squad, his hands behind his back and his eyes covered by what was perceived as a blindfold, alongside the blue splatters which was seen as a confusing recolour of blood, invoked feelings that I never wanted to portray in the first place. I feel as though I am going to scrap the idea in favour of something new and riskier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment